Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review and Interview: The Last Rising (Curse of the Phoenix #1) by Rachel Firasek

After paying two millennia’s penance to Osiris, world-weary Phoenix Ice has had enough. Saving souls without any hope for her own redemption isn’t how she imagined spending eternity. Fed up, she decides her next death will be her last. But when she sacrifices her own life for a sexy Texan in a catastrophic plane crash, she has no idea the consequences will be so great…or that she’ll end up back in his life for her next assignment.

Now that Turner Alcott has survived the worst, finding a wife and mother for his son matters more than ever before. When the mysterious Ice comes into his life, Turner knows she’s the one—but love is the last thing Ice wants. If he wants to win her heart, Turner must teach Ice how to forgive herself, and prove that love is the ultimate sacrifice.









My Thoughts:
This is my second book I have read by Rachel, after reading her first novel, Piper's Fury, which by the way was absolutely amazing. It was a no brainer that I would be waiting on baited breath for her second novel to come out, and I jumped at the chance to be a part of this book tour for her.  Rachel is nothing short of an amazingly talented writer and tells a story like no other, her ideas, plots and characters are so different and original but also reminds me of one of my most favorite paranormal writers Christina Feehan, she also spins a story like no other. 


Ice is a phoenix and tired of being one, she wants out and is willing to do whatever it takes to get out.  Her job as a phoenix is to save someone deemed worthy by dying over and over and over, for or in place of that person, and let me tell you it is always very painful. She has to do this as penance for mistakes made in her previous life, a life she is unwilling to talk about with anyone, even her phoenix friends, who she is in charge over helping and teaching them. Ari, Sadie and Giselle.  I really enjoyed these three characters, they brought a fun spin on the story, I really hope in book 2 we get to read more of the three Goddesses. 


Turner and Brodie are so lovable you just want to eat them up. Brodie is just the cutest little boy I think I've read about, there's a saying "Out of the mouth's of babes", he really made me smile a lot with what comes out of his mouth, and when reading a book on the bus, I should really learn to hide my facial expressions more, I get some pretty weird looks when I start laughing while reading or give a little gasp lol. 


Ice and Turners battle with their feelings for each other is played out very well, Turner trying so hard to get Ice to commit and love him and his son, and Ice trying so hard not to commit and love both of them, is both heart warming and heart wrenching. Along with some very sensual sexy scenes keep you totally enthralled in this novella and wanting more when its ended. From page one this book totally sucked me in and held me there until the end, its a roller coaster ride of emotions you won't want to miss out on. 


I don't really want to say too much more or I will give away to much of the book, and we all know how much I hate spoilers. If you like mythology, paranormal, romance and Texan men with that Texan drawl and hot as hell, this is the book for you to read.  I highly recommend it and hope you will all pick up your copy.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  I can't wait to see where this story takes us in the next book.  This is another hot book from Rachel Firasek. 


I would like to welcome Rachel to The Purple Jelly Bean Chair Reviews today, I had the pleasure of sitting down and talking with Rachel.  Welcome and thank you for being here today.


Where do you call home? 
Home is a wooded parcel of land in the backwoods of Central Texas. The sheep, dogs, and wild things let me mingle with them.


What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The Last Rising
Girl saves boy. Girl turns into bird. Boy thinks he’s crazy. Girl saves boy’s sanity. Boy save’s girl’s heart.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
Read my book, they are all very vocal. J

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
The Last Rising is part of a series and the new book I’m working on is the second in the series.


At what age did you know you wanted to become a writer?
12. When I learned that I could charge for my words. (Promise, I don’t cheat... I assist)


What or who inspired you to write?
Back then? The Desert Storm War had me all melancholy. This was a great way to keep me from completely retreating inside myself.


When you start to write a new novel, what is the process for you, do you start with a small idea and when you sit to write is that when the story starts to flow, or, before you start to write do you already have the whole story worked out?
It depends on the story. Most of the time, it’s a spark that I let run wild.

When you write, do you write from start to finish, or in the middle, or at the end first?
This depends on my mood. If I have a scene that won’t leave me alone, I’ll write it first.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life? 
Not really. I like to create new peeps. They are much more fun than the one’s I know---no offense anyone. But, I can control these characters.


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
Laurell K Hamilton, or Anne Rice. Both have wicked talent and brains.


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I don’t like hardcover. Too heavy on my dainty little wrists. Lol. I don’t have a preference on the others.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
No, I’m epubbed all the way.


Have you ever read a book more than once?
Many times. I read Twilight 8 times.?


What book are you currently reading and in what format (electronic/paperback/hardcover)? 
I’m currently reading: Evermore It’s Twilightish so far, but good.


Is there anything you would change in your last book and why?
I don’t think so. I’m sure if I read it again, I’d find some things, but most authors are never fully satisfied with their work.

Who designed the cover of your book?
Heather Howland. She’s a genius when it comes to vision.


What is the best advice that you can give to aspiring writers?
Keep Writing. When it seems like all is lost and you’ll never publish anything, keep writing. You never know when “the” book will come out of you. Keep Writing.


Do you or have you written/write under a pen name?
Not yet, but I may someday.


Cats or dogs?
Neither---not fond of the fuzzies, but I do have 4 dogs---don’t ask. I have kids. J


Where can your readers follow you? 
My blog: http://www.rachelfirasek.com/apps/blog

My facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-Firasek/175543929127527

My Goodreads author page:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4736939.Rachel_Firasek
Twitter: @raebob78

Other:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Rising-Curse-Phoenix-ebook/dp/B005L92H56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315422099&sr=8-4
Other: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1033261933
Print, ebook or both? ebook


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful interview with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Nat:) Love it:)
    Also good to learn about Rachel:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I want to read Evermore too!! Can't wait to read last rising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fond of fuzzies? No! You wound me, R! And I'm wondering what words you charged for all those years ago. Hahaha!

    Great interview, Rachel. I can't wait to read THE LAST RISING. Got it loaded on my Kindle for that day when I can find a few hours. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise. thanks for coming by today!

    Thanks, Heather!

    Cambria, it was really enjoyable.

    Kendall, I promise, I don't abuse them, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so these can be a problem. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone, I had so much fun reading and reviewing, I can't wait for book 2, Rachel makes it easy to love her books, such a talented Author. :)

    ReplyDelete