Monday, February 6, 2012

Review and Interview: The Placebo Effect by David Rotenberg

Decker Roberts has the dangerous gift of detecting the truth (synaesthesia). But when his carefully compartmentalized life starts to fall apart he has to go on the run and figure out why he’s being targeted. 


There’s also a government agency hunting him down who seems to know everything about him and other people of “his kind.” How will Decker find out which truth was endangering his life? Who betrayed him and revealed all his secrets? 


Decker needs to find answers quickly, before knowing the truth turns from a gift into a deadly curse.






My Thoughts:
I get stuck from time to time when I'm reading.  Sometimes I can't seem to get enough romance, then I start reading paranormal and can't seem to get enough of that genre, right now I seem to be stuck with mystery, with each mystery/suspense/thriller novel they seem to keep getting better and better.  David Rotenberg has a written a great novel, it captured my interest right away, from the very first chapter and I couldn't seem to put it down until I had closed the back cover.  


I was provided by Simon & Schuster an ARC copy of this book and after I read it I was so impressed with it I emailed Simon & Schuster and asked could I do an interview with David Rotenberg which you can read after my review.  I really thought it was fantastic as David is a Canadian author and I myself am Canadian living in Nova Scotia, it's so cool when reading a Canadian author and being able to say, "hey I've been there", or I know where that is" and you can picture that particular place in your mind, it puts a whole new perspective on reading that book. 


Decker is a Synaesthesia, who is a person who has the ability to see if someone is telling him the truth, imagine if we could actually do that, see who is lying to you or not that would be awesome, but poor Decker has tons of people after him because of him having this ability, they all want to know how, why, who else got it.  This is a fantastic novel that takes you on a roller coaster ride with twists and turns you will not see coming and just when you think you have it figured out, oh no you don't lol, it's very fast paced, well written, unique thriller with a cast of characters that fit very well together, and the Canadian jokes and humor was great for me. I liked David's style of writing, I really am looking forward to reading the second book in this new series. Enjoy everyone!!!  Now on to my interview, Yay!!


Thank you David for joining me here at the Purple Jelly Bean Chair Reviews and sitting and chatting with me today, please have a seat in the purple jelly bean chair!



 How did you get the idea for this novel and what kind of research did you have to do to bring this story to life on the page?

I’ve always written about people with special abilities, the five Zhong Fong novels are about a man with exceptional talent in a world where special talents are not honored. When I directed the first Canadian play in the People’s Republic of China the first thing the Artistic Director of that theatre said to me was, “You must remember that you can always be replace”-a fine hello, how was your flight!

Synesthesia simply gives and access to the ‘other.’ There is a lot of material on synesthesia; some of the most interesting is actually the documentary on Mr. Tammet and his extraordinary abilities. There is also a gentleman called the human camera, you can find YouTube stuff on both, and BBC documentaries. As well Mr. Tammet has an interesting book.

Rainman was based loosely on the man who Mr. Tamnent thought of as his spiritual father-he passed away a few years back.
The cities I write about I have either lived in or worked in. As a professional theatre director I’ve spent time in lots of towns. I lived in New York City for many years and I presently live in the Junction.

What books or authors would you say have influenced you most?

John Le Carre-especially the early ones-references to such in the book. I’m fond of Mr. Connelly’s Lincoln Lawyer series. James Crumely’s early books especially Dancing Bear. The early Denis Lehane books, especially Prayer for Rain. Annie Proulx’s Close Range. Jack Miles’ God The Biography and Don Delillo’s Underground.

What is next for you?

Book two in The Junction Chronicles is now with Simon & Schuster, and I’m interested in a sub series called Seth’s Dream-probably three novels long-much more in the realm of speculative fiction following Seth’s ability to lucid dream.

If you could have dinner with one of your characters who would it be?

Yslan, I know Decker, I’d like to meet Yslan.

Desert Island time, you can bring one person & one thing, what & who would you bring?

James Joyce and Ulysses. It would take up years for him to explain to me what exactly he was getting at-and what so much of it means-I’m guessing he’s an interesting guy. Wrong guess and I could be in for the most boring eternity imaginable.
Thank you again David for stopping by today and taking the time to chat with me, I enjoyed that and I wish you all the success with your new series and look forward to chatting with you again, please stop by and visit anytime!!
If you would like to know more about David Rotenberg you can find him at any of these links. 
Author website: www.davidrotenberg.com





















No comments:

Post a Comment